A woman who abandoned her cat in a house for five weeks – which led to the animal becoming emaciated and close to death – has been sentenced in court.

Joanne Brown (DOB 08/05/84), of Winterburn Green, Stockport, was sentenced at Stockport Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday 21 December). She pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the cat, named Tinkerbell, at an earlier hearing.

Magistrates gave Brown a 12-month conditional discharge, and ordered her to pay £250 costs and a … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a man randomly kicked a dog who was waiting outside a shop for her owner.

The man was caught on CCTV attacking the dog, a four-year-old beagle named Izzy, outside One Stop in Bramhall Lane, Stockport, at 10.50am on Wednesday (11 October).

Izzy had been waiting for her owner, Danielle Duce, when the incident happened.

RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer Steve Wickham said: “It is difficult footage to watch. It is a completely random … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after the body of a pig with his legs tied together was pulled out of a river in Stockport.

A member of the public contacted the RSPCA on Friday morning (29 September) after seeing the pig in the river by a weir, in Otterspool, in Romiley.

RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer (AWO) Steve Wickham and a crew from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service attended to remove the body.

AWO Wickham said: “At this stage … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is warning people about the danger that fly paper poses to wildlife, after a swallow died after getting stuck to one.

The animal welfare charity was called to rescue the bird from a stable in Ridge End, in Marple, Stockport, on Tuesday (5 September).

Sadly, the swallow had to be put to sleep as a result of injuries sustained from being stuck to the paper.

RSPCA animal welfare officer Steve Wickham said: “When I arrived, the bird was … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat with severe burns on her back was abandoned outside a vets.

The female tabby cat was left at the front door of a vet practice in Wellington Road North, Stockport, on Friday 19 May. She was taken to the RSPCA’s Manchester Animal Hospital, however she was sadly put to sleep after her health deteriorated.

It is thought that the burns were caused by a toxic substance – potentially acid or strong … Continue reading…