The RSPCA has issued a warning to people to be careful when using antifreeze after a cat in Swanwick died from ingesting it.

Genna Curtis, 28, of Broak Oak Close, Swanwick, said her two children – Faith, six, and Kennedy, four – have been left devastated by Tigger’s death at the end of November.

Tests have since proven that Tigger, a one-year-old male ginger tabby, ingested antifreeze shortly before he died.

Sadly, their neighbours’ cat also died two days later … Continue reading…

14.11.2014

We’re advising horse owners not to graze their animals near sycamore trees over concerns with poisoning following the unseasonably warm and wet spring and summer.

The seeds found on sycamore trees are linked with atypical myopathy, which is a serious illness usually found in grazing horses in the autumn and spring.

Chief Inspector Cathy Hyde, who heads our specialist team of equine officers, said:

“It appears that vets have seen more cases of this debilitating and sadly often fatal

Continue reading…

16.04.14

The number of complaints about animal poisoning reported to us has increased by nearly ten per cent in the space of a year.

The figures were revealed today as we warn owners about accidentally poisoning their pets by giving them harmful treats, such as chocolate, this Easter.

We received 1,154 poisoning complaints last year from concerned members of the public. This was up from 1,055 in 2012.

It is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006Continue reading…

31.10.13

In readiness for tonight’s Halloween festivities, we have released a few important tips to keep dogs safe and comfortable.

Last year we received around 5,550 calls on Halloween from people seeking help and advice.  With the number of calls for help increasing every year, we are bracing ourselves for another busy night.

RSPCA dog expert Lisa Richards said:

“Halloween is growing in popularity every year, and while it is a fun night of costumes and chocolates it does present

Continue reading…

07.06.13

Cat dies after being poisoned with anti-freeze in Pontypridd

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat was fatally poisoned in Pontypridd. The cat returned to its home in Oak Street, Rhydefelin on Saturday 3 June in a critical condition. The owners took it to a veterinary surgery in Treforest where the vet confirmed the cat was suffering from antifreeze poisoning and put the animal to sleep.

The latest death follows a spate of similar poisonings in Caerphilly … Continue reading…