RSPCA Cymru answered almost 300 calls in 2017 about animals harmed by rubbish, according to shocking new figures.
In total, the charity recieved 278 calls from Wales over the year about animals impacted by litter and discarded objects – incidences the RSPCA say are “entirely avoidable”.
Litter-related incidents across 2017 included three gulls who had to be put to sleep after being found trapped in fishing litter, at Hendre Lake in Cardiff.
RSPCA Cymru worked with Cardiff City Council, and … Continue reading…
RSPCA Cymru is celebrating as the final local authority to ban the release of deadly sky lanterns on their land approved restrictions on their use on Wednesday, effectively making Wales a no-fly zone for the devices on council land.
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council unanimously approved plans to restrict sky lantern use on land controlled by the local authority in a vote.
The charity has long highlighted the dangers these devices pose to public safety and to animal welfare.
In … Continue reading…
Merthyr is set to become the only area in Wales where a council-ban on the release of sky lanterns is not in force.
RSPCA Cymru has long campaigned for a ban on the release of sky lanterns, which can have deadly consequences for pets, farm animals and wildlife.
Sky lanterns – which are lifted into the air via an open flame heat source – can be ingested by animals, or cause entanglement or entrapment. This can lead to unsuspecting animals … Continue reading…
A hungry cat had to be rescued after he got an empty tin can jammed on his head.
The RSPCA was contacted by a worried woman who spotted the cat under her car on the driveway of her home in Longton Lane, Prescot, Merseyside, on Thursday morning last week.
Inspector Helen Smith attended and managed to pull the tin off his head – before the uninjured but sheepish cat made a dash for it.
“He had got pretty much his … Continue reading…
The RSPCA has urged the public not to discard litter after an inspector was called to rescue a victim of rubbish – a cat with a tin of dog food stuck on her head.
Inspector Heather Morris was contacted on Sunday last week (18 June) after a member of the public spotted the puss in a spot of bother in Queensway, Winsford.
The black and white cat had got her head wedged inside the dog food can and couldn’t get … Continue reading…