RSPCA Cymru has issued a reminder to the public about the dangers of litter and debris to wildlife, after a badly-injured gull was found with wire entangled around their feet in Barry.

The charity’s officers were alerted after the bird was spotted injured and making no attempt to fly, on Tuesday (16 October). Wire was tied tightly around the feet of the bird, with one foot visibly hanging off.

An RSPCA animal collection officer (ACO) has said the ordeal would … Continue reading…

A cygnet who had a ‘lucky escape’ after swallowing a large fishing hook has prompted the RSPCA to urge anglers to take litter home with them.

The bird was rescued from a lake in Rotherham, on Wednesday last week (29 August), with a 7cm-long fishing hook in his throat and fishing line wrapped around his esophagus.

He was taken to a local vet but was transferred to the RSPCA’s Stapeley Grange wildlife centre in Nantwich, Cheshire, as his injuries needed … Continue reading…

RSPCA Cymru answered almost 300 calls in 2017 about animals harmed by rubbish, according to shocking new figures.

In total, the charity recieved 278 calls from Wales over the year about animals impacted by litter and discarded objects – incidences the RSPCA say are “entirely avoidable”.

Litter-related incidents across 2017 included three gulls who had to be put to sleep after being found trapped in fishing litter, at Hendre Lake in Cardiff.

RSPCA Cymru worked with Cardiff City Council, and … Continue reading…

RSPCA Cymru is celebrating as the final local authority to ban the release of deadly sky lanterns on their land approved restrictions on their use on Wednesday, effectively making Wales a no-fly zone for the devices on council land.

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council unanimously approved plans to restrict sky lantern use on land controlled by the local authority in a vote.

The charity has long highlighted the dangers these devices pose to public safety and to animal welfare.

In … Continue reading…

Merthyr is set to become the only area in Wales where a council-ban on the release of sky lanterns is not in force.

RSPCA Cymru has long campaigned for a ban on the release of sky lanterns, which can have deadly consequences for pets, farm animals and wildlife.

Sky lanterns – which are lifted into the air via an open flame heat source – can be ingested by animals, or cause entanglement or entrapment. This can lead to unsuspecting animals … Continue reading…