A woman who neglected 16 ponies – which led to the deaths of four of them – has been disqualified from keeping equines for four years.

Kathryn Showell (DOB 30/05/57), of Charles Street, Sileby, Leicestershire, was sentenced at Leicester Magistrates’ Court on Friday (9 March) after pleading guilty to 31 Animal Welfare Act offences at an earlier hearing.

The offences related to causing unnecessary suffering and failing to meet the needs of 16 ponies, over a period of five months … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is investigating after a tumour-ridden dog was tied up and left for dead under a bush.

A member of the public found the distressed dog, thought to be a collie cross, tied up in an alleyway next to Available Car, in Station Road, Castle Donington, Leicestershire, on Saturday morning (16 December).

He was immediately taken to a vet, where he was put to sleep on welfare grounds as he was so poorly.

RSPCA inspector Sarah Gardner said: “This … Continue reading…

A kitten who was rescued from a skip at a recycling centre in Leicester aged just six weeks old is looking for a new home after recovering from a serious leg injury.

Staff at Wastecycle, in Enderby Road Industrial Estate, Whetstone, contacted the RSPCA after finding the kitten among rubbish on 10 October.

The kitten had an injured and bleeding leg when she was found, and it was initially feared that she would need her leg amputating.

But RSPCA … Continue reading…

Two cats with a severe flea allergy are recovering after being abandoned in a Leicester park.

The cats – a male and a female – were discovered by a member of the public in a plastic carrier on Aylestone Recreation Ground, in Knighton Lane, on Thursday last week (1 June).

They are now in the RSPCA’s care, where they have been given the names Dandelion and Burdock.

RSPCA Animal Collection Officer Sharon Knight, who collected the cats, said: “They had … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat died from suspected antifreeze poisoning in a Leicestershire village.

The animal welfare charity was contacted by the cat’s concerned owner after her pet died on Thursday last week (30 March).

A vet who examined the cat believed that the cat had suffered suspected antifreeze poisoning. It is believed the cat ingested the toxic substance near to their home in Hill Street, in Croft.

RSPCA inspector Allison North said: “This is a … Continue reading…