The dangers razor wire poses to birds has been highlighted, after a gull had to be put to sleep in Newport.

RSPCA Cymru was alerted after a member of the public spotted the bird tangled in the wire on a lane near Phillip Court in the city. The incident took place on Saturday (20 May).

Sadly, the gull was found to have broken both wings, and had to be put to sleep on welfare grounds to prevent further suffering.

The … Continue reading…

RSPCA Cymru has launched an appeal for information, following reports that three cats from the same household have died as a consequence of suspected poisonings.

The three cats – named Squirt, Meow and Charlie, all lived on Elm Drive in Risca, and died between 17 April and 2 May.

Veterinary inspection confirmed that two of the three cat deaths were due to anti-freeze poisoning. RSPCA Cymru is urging anyone with any information to contact the charity, with calls to the … Continue reading…

A decapitated heron has been found in the Blackwood area, reports to RSPCA Cymru suggest.

The heron was seen by a member of the public on 5 May, at the Twyn, Fleur De Lis in the town, prompting an appeal for information.

Unfortunately, RSPCA Cymru has not been able to re-establish contact with the member of the public who initially reported the incident. As such, the charity has not been able to collect the body of the bird reportedly subject … Continue reading…

Two cats have died in the Caerphilly area after being poisoned, RSPCA Cymru has learned.

An appeal for information has been launched by the charity after the two cats – named Louie and Scoob – were put to sleep on veterinary advice, with symptoms consistent with poisoning.

The cats lived on Stanley Street in the Senghenydd area.

Both poisonings took place on separate days, with Louie put to sleep on 3 April, and Scoob five days later. A vet found … Continue reading…

Torfaen County Borough Council has become the latest Local Authority in Wales to implement a ban on the use of sky lanterns on their land.

After discussions with RSPCA Cymru, the Council has taken moves to ban the objects, which can have deadly consequences for animals and their welfare.

Torfaen are the 16th Council in Wales to take this action – meaning a complete ban across Wales’ Local Authority land is a step closer. Sky lanterns can be ingested by … Continue reading…