Thursday 5 September 2013

The RSPCA is warning of the danger posed to wildlife by discarded fishing litter following a recent incident in Abergele involving a herring gull that was badly wounded by a fishing lure.

A member of the public called the RSPCA after spotting the young gull in his garden with hooks caught in his beak and foot.  

When RSPCA Inspector Mike Pugh arrived the gull was bleeding from the wounds which had become infected. After examining the bird he was able to cut the hooks off using a pair of pliers. The bird was then taken to RSPCA wildlife centre at Stapeley Grange in Cheshire for treatment.

gullfishllure

Every year the RSPCA takes hundreds of similar calls about wildlife injured or even killed by fishing litter which has not been properly disposed of and all of the RSPCA’s four wildlife centres have had birds injured by fishing tackle admitted in recent weeks.

Inspector Pugh said: “This case highlights the dangers posed to wildlife by carelessly discarded fishing litter. We urge anyone about to go out fishing to make sure they take those extra few minutes to dispose of their litter properly. They could be saving a life.”

The RSPCA has been working with the Angling Trust, the Environment Agency and the National Swan Convention, to reduce the impact of lost and discarded fishing tackle which causes injuries to wildlife.

If you spot an animal in distress, please call the RSPCA’s 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999.

 

 

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Twelve gulls have died after coming into contact with a mystery substance between Broadhaven and Newgale in St Brides Bay, Pembrokeshire.

RSPCA officers responded on Monday (22nd July) after a canoeist reported seeing four dead birds and several others who seemed lethargic and struggling to move.

The inspectors searched a seven kilometre stretch of the the coastal area using a R.I.B. (Rigid Inflatable Boat). The search was difficult due to the terrain which was mostly made … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing to the public to dispose of litter carefully after a young gull in Abergele was unable to fly after getting tangled up in a kite reel.

The juvenile bird was freed from his ordeal by RSPCA inspector Mike Pugh, under the watchful eye of the avian’s parents.

Inspector Mike Pugh said:

“This incident shows what can happen when people don’t bin their litter. This kind of rubbish is particularly lethal to animals as their curiosity can … Continue reading…