The Welsh Government cabinet secretary responsible for animal welfare swapped her spot at the cabinet table for the passenger seat of an RSPCA inspectorate van yesterday (Thursday February 8).
Lesley Griffiths AM, the Cabinet Secretary for Energy, Planning and Rural Affairs, joined RSPCA inspector Kia Thomas on calls across North East Wales.
A number of calls were dealt with across the region – including giving advice to a horse owner about the environment their animal was being kept in, an … Continue reading…
RSPCA officers have abseiled 25-metres down a Swansea cliff edge to save a stranded sheep, with the dramatic rescue caught on camera.
The charity was alerted after members of the public spotted the sheep, trapped down a cliff in the Pitton area of Rhossili, in the Gower Peninsula.
An RSPCA rope rescue team attended and abseiled down the cliff to rescue the stranded animal. The rescue was completed on 10 January.
The sheep was safely caught by RSPCA officers, … Continue reading…
Merthyr is set to become the only area in Wales where a council-ban on the release of sky lanterns is not in force.
RSPCA Cymru has long campaigned for a ban on the release of sky lanterns, which can have deadly consequences for pets, farm animals and wildlife.
Sky lanterns – which are lifted into the air via an open flame heat source – can be ingested by animals, or cause entanglement or entrapment. This can lead to unsuspecting animals … Continue reading…
RSPCA Cymru has re-iterated advice around keeping animals safe during fireworks, as Bonfire Night draws closer.
Many animals – of all shapes and sizes – find fireworks frightening, and estimates suggest 45 per cent of the UK’s dogs show signs of fear and distress by the loud noises fireworks emit.
The reminder follows previous advice issued by the RSPCA, around fireworks during the Diwali celebrations, and the release of sky lanterns at Halloween.
In 2016, the animal welfare charity received … Continue reading…
A warning has been issued about the dangers sky lanterns pose to animals as Wales prepares to mark Halloween.
Sky, or ‘Chinese’, lanterns, can be a popular part of the Halloween celebrations – but RSPCA Cymru has reminded the public that they can be “fatal to animals”.
The devices – which are lifted into the air via an open flame heat source – can be ingested by animals, or cause entanglement or entrapment. This can lead to wildlife, pets or … Continue reading…