A cygnet who had a ‘lucky escape’ after swallowing a large fishing hook has prompted the RSPCA to urge anglers to take litter home with them.

The bird was rescued from a lake in Rotherham, on Wednesday last week (29 August), with a 7cm-long fishing hook in his throat and fishing line wrapped around his esophagus.

He was taken to a local vet but was transferred to the RSPCA’s Stapeley Grange wildlife centre in Nantwich, Cheshire, as his injuries needed … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is urging people to be cautious of wildlife when on a boat – after a cygnet died after getting caught in a propeller on a Nantwich canal.

The injured and distressed cygnet was found by a member of the public with his skin ripped away on the top of his body, on the canal near to Barbridge Marina, on Wednesday (2 August).

The member of the public, Richard Palmer, picked the swan up and took him to the … Continue reading…

A cygnet had a lucky escape after getting fishing line tangled around his beak on a lake in St Helens.

The RSPCA was called after the young swan was seen with the fishing litter dangling from his mouth in Grosvener Road, on 22 June.

Fortunately the cygnet was untangled by a team of two RSPCA officers – Steve Wickham and Nick Green. Happily, he was released back to his family after being found to be uninjured.

Steve said: “We managed … Continue reading…

A swan has been successfully returned to the wild – just in time for Christmas – after receiving life-saving help from the RSPCA, Church Walk Vets and Kendal College animal rescue centre.

 

The youngster was collected from the bank of the Ormsgill reservoir in Barrow in Furness on Friday 11 December after a call from a concerned member of the public.

 

RSPCA inspector Will Lamping said: “The cygnet was in a terrible state, covered in blood and very … Continue reading…

A cygnet who had a small piece of metal lodged in his throat is expected to make a good recovery after being rescued by the RSPCA.

The RSPCA was called after members of the public saw the young swan struggling to swallow at Oundle Wharf in Station Road, Oundle, Northamptonshire.

RSPCA inspector Polly Underwood went to the incident on Sunday afternoon (20 September). She said: “When I caught him, I could immediately feel that there was something stuck in his … Continue reading…