A Swansea-based swan had a lucky escape after being freed from dangerous fishing litter by RSPCA officers.
The animal welfare charity was alerted after the swan was spotted with a fishing hook stuck through his beak in ponds at the Swansea Enterprise Park, known locally as the half-round ponds, near the Wyevale.
A kind-hearted member of the public had spotted the bird’s plight – and the RSPCA removed the fishing line and rig, before releasing the swan back to the … Continue reading…
RSPCA Cymru rescued a skewbald horse – believed to be of trotter-type – found to have a serious leg injury, prompting the animal welfare charity to launch a search for the equine’s owner.
Officers were contacted after the horse was seen to be trapped, with water up to their shoulders, in a field off Wentloog Avenue in Cardiff.
The horse was found to be trapped in a reen, and the RSPCA enlisted the help of the South Wales Fire & … Continue reading…
A Pembroke Dock husband and wife have each been a handed suspended jail sentence for the treatment of their pet cat.
Lee Stephen Partridge, 49, and Allison Sarah Partridge, 50, both of Meyrick Street, pleaded guilty to an Animal Welfare Act offence, and were sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court yesterday (10 July).
An RSPCA inspector has said he was “appalled” at the couple’s treatment of their pet cat Frankie, who he said “had the appearance of an 18-year-old cat, despite … Continue reading…
A cat’s leg was left badly broken after being shot with an air rifle near Llanelli.
RSPCA Cymru was notified after the female tortoiseshell cat, named Spot, was shot last Friday (8 June), in the village of Pontyberem.
The cat – aged six – was taken to a veterinary practice, where it was confirmed her leg was broken by an air rifle pellet.
Spot is now set to undergo an operation to have the damaged leg amputated.
Members of the … Continue reading…
An Ebbw Vale resident found an unexpected visitor at their home – after making the shock discovery of a three-foot snake in a kitchen gas meter.
RSPCA officers were alerted after the reptile – a kingsnake – was found in the gas meter of a flat on Mill Terrace in Cwm on Monday (4 June).
An animal collection officer attended the property to rescue the snake, who has now been transferred to a specialist centre in the West Midlands - … Continue reading…