We’re advising horse owners not to graze their animals near sycamore trees over concerns with poisoning following the unseasonably warm and wet spring and summer.
The seeds found on sycamore trees are linked with atypical myopathy, which is a serious illness usually found in grazing horses in the autumn and spring.
Chief Inspector Cathy Hyde, who heads our specialist team of equine officers, said:
“It appears that vets have seen more cases of this debilitating and sadly often fatal
… Continue reading…
On the 3 November, we were called to rescue a tiny five week old kitten who was found in an oil container on an industrial estate in Watford.
He was incredibly scrawny and covered in thick black oil. He was nothing but a pair of huge pitiful eyes, so he has since been named Gollum after the character from the Lord of the Rings.
Gollum was rushed straight to the vets, where after a careful wash it was quite … Continue reading…
We’re preparing for a long winter as the seal season approaches and pens fill up with poorly pups.
When an unexpected tidal surge hit the Norfolk coast last December more than 100 seal pups were left injured and stranded. We were called in to help rescue the orphaned pups and bring them back to full health.
The number of seals we took in jumped by 61 per cent in 2013 from 170 to 273. As the winter months … Continue reading…
We’re appealing for information after a puppy was dumped on an Essex doorstep on the morning of Halloween.
The white, seven-week-old West Highland Terrier, who’s been named Tilly, was found soaking wet and shivering inside a taped-up cardboard box. She had been left by the door of a house in Badgers Mount, Orsett, Grays – probably overnight.
A passing neighbour spotted the box early on Friday, 31 October and went to investigate. They were shocked to find the tiny … Continue reading…
We assisted the fire brigade on Wednesday morning (5 November) when they rescued some newborn kittens. The kittens had got stuck down a drain in St John’s Avenue in Braintree, Essex.
The three black and white kittens, and one tabby, were less than a day old. It’s thought the mum gave birth to the kittens and they almost straight away fell down a four inch hole around a water pipe in the kitchen.
The fire service were called and … Continue reading…