A crow is back in the wild after being rescued by the RSPCA from “dangerous” fishing litter in Buckley.

The animal welfare charity was contacted after the crow was spotted stuck in a tree on an island in the middle in the Higher Common Road area of the North Wales town.

Sadly, the crow’s wing was caught in the tree due to fishing line; highlighting the dangers discarded angling litter can pose to local wildlife.

The RSPCA says most anglers … Continue reading…

A gull has been rescued after getting stuck in netting between a Greggs, a gym and a cocktail bar in Cardiff.

RSPCA Cymru was alerted on Tuesday (13 July) after a member of the public spotted the gull’s plight on Park Place in the Welsh capital and sounded the alarm.

The animal welfare charity says the incident acts as a reminder as to the dangers netting can pose to animals.

RSPCA inspector Sophie Daniels attended, and enlisted the support of … Continue reading…

A peregrine falcon fledgling was rescued by the RSPCA after falling to the pavement outside its famous City Hall nesting spot in Cardiff.

The young, struggling bird was spotted by concerned members of the public who contacted the RSPCA.

Onlookers had seen the fledgling retreat from the clock tower into a nearby tree, before falling to the ground – having been pecked by gulls in the vicinity.

Cardiff’s City Hall is famous locally as a nesting spot for the birds … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is calling for the giving of pets as prizes to be banned – and is urging local authorities across England and Wales to act to protect “misunderstood” goldfish.

As coronavirus restrictions continue to ease across England and Wales, the RSPCA fears that the “out-dated and cruel” spectre of pets being given away as prizes will return to fairgrounds as events resume in greater numbers.

Councils have been urged to take a lead on the issue – and ban … Continue reading…

Dog owners have been reminded that electric shock collars are “dangerous” and “illegal” in Wales, after RSPCA Cymru received reports of a dog walker using a device in the grounds of the Grange University Hospital in Cwmbran. 

The animal welfare charity was alerted after a member of the public reported seeing an electric collar used numerous times on a young dog outside the Cwmbran hospital on 21 June.

Anyone with information about the alleged incident, or similar events, has been … Continue reading…