RSPCA Cymru warn about the dangers of discarded fishing tackle
Monday 8 July 2013
A Jackdaw had a lucky escape after finding itself hanging upside down from a telephone cable in Aberfan near Merthyr Tydfil on Saturday (06/07/13).
When Inspector Rohan Barker arrived at the scene he found the bird dangling by its leg 30 feet in the air from a fishing hook and line.
Inspector Barker immediately requested the assistance of South Wales fire and rescue and firefighter Adam … Continue reading…
5th July 2013
RSPCA Cymru has welcomed an announcement from the Minister for Natural Resources and Food which confirms that the draft Animal Welfare (Breeding of Dogs) (Wales) regulations have been withdrawn with immediate effect.
The Society had highlighted a worrying discrepancy contained within the draft regulations regarding a minimum staff:dog ratio. Subsequently, the Minister has withdrawn the regulations and officials will now undertake a further consultation over the summer months.
Claire Lawson, RSPCA Cymru Head of External Affairs, said: … Continue reading…
Wednesday 03 July 2013
RSPCA Cymru is warning that animal welfare in Wales could be irreparably damaged if dangerous proposals to curb charity shop rate relief go ahead. The Society has recently responded to Welsh Government proposals to reduce the business rate relief for charity shops in Wales from 80 to 50 per cent from 2022.
Unlike many other charities, RSPCA Cymru and its independent branches receive no government funding for their animal welfare services and rely heavily on the … Continue reading…
The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat was shot in Treorchy, sustaining serious injuries.
The incident happened in Miskin Street on Saturday 15 June. The male black and white five year old cat was shot twice in his mouth and left eye. As a result of the injuries sustained, the left eye had to be removed.
RSPCA Inspector Gemma Black said: “This was a very cruel and callous act, resulting in a debilitating injury to this defenceless creature. … Continue reading…
Cat dies after being poisoned with anti-freeze in Pontypridd
The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat was fatally poisoned in Pontypridd. The cat returned to its home in Oak Street, Rhydefelin on Saturday 3 June in a critical condition. The owners took it to a veterinary surgery in Treforest where the vet confirmed the cat was suffering from antifreeze poisoning and put the animal to sleep.
The latest death follows a spate of similar poisonings in Caerphilly … Continue reading…