An RSPCA wildlife centre has admitted a rare patient – a red squirrel.

The elusive squirrel – a native British species which is only seen in certain parts of the UK – was admitted to RSPCA Stapeley Grange, in Nantwich, Cheshire, after being found orphaned in Liverpool.

It is only the tenth red squirrel taken in by the centre since 2012.

“The number of red squirrels we get at Stapeley Grange is so remarkably small so when one arrives it … Continue reading…

An orphaned seal pup has arrived at RSPCA Stapeley Grange, marking the start of the ‘seal season’ for the centre.

The common seal pup, who has been nicknamed Squid, arrived at the animal charity’s Stapeley Grange wildlife centre in Nantwich, Cheshire, on Friday (9 August), after being rescued from a beach in Scarborough.

She is the first common seal to be admitted to the centre this season. The centre receives mainly grey seals over the winter but the team are … Continue reading…

A Cardiff cat has been found hundreds of miles away from home in North Wales – after taking the five hour journey without his owners.

Bear – the Burmese cat – accidentally took a trip to Holyhead without his owners knowing – around 200 miles away from home!

Bear was spotted near a car park at South Stack, Holyhead, on 8 August and again on 9 August, with concerns growing for him as he was holding his head on one … Continue reading…

RSPCA Cymru is appealing for information after a badly-injured skewbald stallion was found on Cardiff’s Rover Way.

The horse is some 15-hands high and was found with wounds to both flanks which had been inappropriately treated with iodine spray.

Sadly, the stallion, thought to be aged around 15, was found with ulcers in both eyes, lacerations to his body and was lame on his left hind. He was found to be roaming the street, lethargic and clearly in great pain … Continue reading…

A gull had to be put to sleep after becoming horribly trapped on a chimney pot on Holywell’s High Street.

RSPCA Cymru was alerted after the gull was spotted by residents, with his leg trapped by the chimney pot. The bird was left hanging by his leg, and in excruciating pain.

The animal welfare charity teamed-up with Flintshire County Council’s street lighting team to rescue the gull in the incident on Tuesday (6 August).

Sadly, the bird’s injuries were so … Continue reading…