Nala 2An RSPCA appeal for information has been launched after the sudden death of a Kinmel Bay cat who vets believe may have been poisoned.

The 12-year-old male tabby cat – called Nala – suddenly became very poorly, and was passing blood in his urine within days. The cat’s condition continued to deteriorate in the days which followed, and sadly he was put to sleep on independent veterinary advice on Saturday 23 March.

Vets found the cat had succumbed to acute kidney failure with sudden onset – something they feel strongly indicates contact with a poison or toxin. The cat had no previous history of kidney problems.

The cat lived on Foryd Road in Kinmel Bay, and RSPCA Cymru are calling on anyone who may have information connected to the cat’s sudden deteriorating health to contact their inspectorate appeal line.

RSPCA officers are also urging the local community to be vigilant and responsible when storing chemicals and hazardous substances – which can so easily prove fatal for animals like Nala.

Jenny Anderton, RSPCA inspector, said: “Poor Nala’s health went downhill very quickly – with vets discovering acute kidney failure, with sudden onset. They strongly believe this indicates contact with a toxin or poison.

“Symptoms shown could well be consistent with anti-freeze consumption – and we’re reminding motorists to be careful and ensure chemicals like this are stored securely, and leaks from cars are addressed.

“We don’t know if this incident was deliberate or a tragic accident – but responsible steps like this can help keep animals safe within any community.

“Our thoughts are with Nala’s owner at this time. Anyone with information connected to this incident should contact our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.”

Vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be symptoms of a cat being poisoned.

Anyone fearing their cat may have been poisoned should try and remain calm, move the cat away from the source and contact a vet straight away.

Should you wish to help the RSPCA investigate cases such as this one, you can donate online.