A three-legged cat believed to have been poisoned was found on Wrexham Industrial Estate.
RSPCA Cymru was notified after the collapsed black and white adult cat was found by a passer-by on Wednesday (13 February), having a fit.
The animal welfare charity rushed the cat to a local independent veterinary practice – who sadly made the decision to put the cat to sleep to prevent further suffering. A microchip was not evident, meaning the RSPCA have – as of yet – been unable to notify any owner – another example as to the importance of identifying pets in this way. The amputation of a back right leg suggests the cat is likely to have an owner.
It is unknown whether any poisoning was deliberate, or a tragic accident. However, cat owners in the area have been advised to be vigilant – and the wider public urged to use caution when using chemicals that could be fatal to cats.
RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton said: “This poor cat was found in a very bad way – fitting, and collapsed; with local vets believing the animal had been poisoned.
“It seems very possible this black and white, three-legged cat has an owner but sadly we cannot notify them due to the absence of a microchip. Identifying pets is so important – so owners can be contacted quickly and easily in an emergency.
“We don’t know how this cat may have consumed poison but it is a reminder for people to be vigilant. People should check vehicles for leaks, and be careful and responsible when using chemicals which could harm cats – as unintended consequences or accidents can prove fatal.
“Anyone with any information about this incident can reach our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.”
Should you wish to donate to the RSPCA, you can do so online.