Smudge the catAn RSPCA appeal for information has been launched amid concerns a number of cats have been poisoned near Whitland. 

RSPCA officers have been contacted with reports that five cats have died in suspicious circumstances in the vicinity of Whitland and Lampeter Velfrey. The incidents happened on High Street.

 Three of the cats were owned by local resident Michelle Davies. All her cats faced similar symptoms – appearing lethargic, and – in some cases – had blood appearing from the mouth.

Ms Davies’ cats died between Tuesday 6 November and Friday 9 November. Freya died first (6 November), while the two other owned cats – Sox and Smudge – had to be put to sleep last Friday (9 November).

Two feral cats in the area, meanwhile, are also understood to have endured the same fate.

Freya the catIt is unclear whether the incidents were deliberate, or a tragic accident – but RSPCA say for five cats to be impacted is a “major cause for concern”.

The RSPCA has now issued a warning to cat owners in the local area to be vigilant, and urged anyone with any information potentially related to these feared poisonings to contact their 24-hour emergency line.

Freya the catKeith Hogben, RSPCA inspector, said: “Our thoughts are with Michelle, following the loss of these cats in the Whitland area of Pembrokeshire.

“To lose a cat is horrendous, but for three to experience such a horrible fate is unthinkable. Indeed, the number of cats we understand have been poisoned in the area is a major cause for concern.

“We’re urging cat owners in the local community to be vigilant and know the signs of a suspected poisoning.

“Vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be symptoms of a cat being poisoned.

“Anyone fearing their cat may have been poisoned should try and remain calm, move the moggy away from the source and contact a vet immediately.

“Potentially hazardous substances – like antifreeze – should also be used and stored Sox the catresponsibly, and safely away from any curious felines.

 ”The RSPCA does not know if these suspected poisonings in Whitland were deliberate or a tragic accident – but anyone with information can call our emergency line on 0300 1234 999, 24 hours a day.”

Michelle Davies, owner of the cats, added: “It is absolutely awful. We saw all of the cats display similar symptoms – becoming very lethargic and unwell so quickly. It was horrible to see – and vets were absolutely sure the cause was antifreeze poisoning.”

Should you wish to help RSPCA Cymru with rescues like this, you can donate online. The RSPCA is a charity and relies on public donations.