RSPCA Cymru has issued a reminder to the public about the dangers of litter and debris to wildlife, after a badly-injured gull was found with wire entangled around their feet in Barry.
The charity’s officers were alerted after the bird was spotted injured and making no attempt to fly, on Tuesday (16 October). Wire was tied tightly around the feet of the bird, with one foot visibly hanging off.
An RSPCA animal collection officer (ACO) has said the ordeal would have caused “agonising pain” for the gull. Sadly, the ACO was left with no choice but to put the bird to sleep.
The gull was found in the Rhoose area of Barry.
RSPCA Cymru says the sad incident highlights the dangers that litter and debris cause to wildlife.
ACO Gary Lucas said: “This is likely to have caused this gull agonising pain – and that’s all because this piece of wire became entangled around the poor bird’s feet.
“We receive more than 5,000 calls a year across England and Wales regarding litter and, unfortunately, wildlife is the main victim – with wild birds commonly impacted.
“It isn’t clear that this wire was from – but it’s a reminder to us all to dispose of waste and debris appropriately and help keep wildlife safe.”
More advice about keeping animals safe from litter and waste is available on the RSPCA’s website.
Should you wish to help RSPCA Cymru with work like this, you can donate online. The RSPCA is a charity and relies on public donations.