An RSPCA appeal for information has been launched amid fears two cats have been poisoned by antifreeze.
One of the cats from Oakdale Place, Pontnewydd, Pontypool, was found dead – the other extremely poorly.
They were taken to a local veterinary practice, with the vet believing antifreeze poisoning responsible. Sadly, the vets have said that the unwell cat was likely going to be put to sleep due to the severity of their condition.
RSPCA Izzi Hignell said: “Our thoughts are with the cats’ owners at this very sad time.
“It is unclear whether any poisoning was deliberate or a tragic accident – but we are appealing to the local community for information, and also reminding cat owners as to the steps they should take if they fear their pet may have been poisoned.
“It’s also important local pet owners are on alert, after these recent developments.
“Vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be signs of a potential poisoning. If this is feared, owners should remain calm, move the animal away from any suspected poisonous source, and contact a vet immediately.
“If anyone has any information about these incidents please can they contact the inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.”
If you spot an animal in distress, please call the RSPCA’s 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999.
If you wish to help RSPCA Cymru, you can donate online. The RSPCA is a charity and relies on public donations.