Garfunkel (l) and Simon (r)An RSPCA appeal for information has been launched amid fears two cats from the same Risca home died as a result of anti-freeze poisoning.

Officers from the animal welfare charity were alerted after both cats – from Grove Road – were taken ill last Friday (25 May).

The two ginger cats, who are brothers, and named Simon and Garfunkel, appeared unwell and lethargic; with one visibly trembling.

Both were taken to a local veterinary practice, with the vet believing anti-freeze poisoning responsible.  Sadly, both cats were put to sleep.

Jenna Bogue, the cat’s owner, has said she and her partner are “eager to ensure other cat owners are vigilant at this time”.

It is unclear whether any poisoning was deliberate or a tragic accident – but RSPCA Cymru has appealed to the local community for information, and is reminding cat owners as to the steps they should take if they fear their pet may have been poisoned.

RSPCA inspector Christine McNeil said: “”Our thoughts are with Simon and Garfunkel’s owners at this very sad time.

“It’s unclear whether this poisoning attack was a tragic accident, or whether something more malicious occurred. However, we’re appealing for information to the local area, and our inspectorate appeal line can be reached on 0300 123 8018.

“It’s also important local pet owners are on alert, after these recent developments.

“Vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be signs of a potential poisoning. If this is feared, owners should remain calm, move the animal away from any suspected poisonous source, and contact a vet immediately.”

Jenna Bogue, owner of Simon and Garfunkel, added: “Sadly, it is too late for us – but we’re eager to make everyone aware of what happened to our cats. We’re eager to ensure other cat owners are vigilant at this time.

“Whether this was intentional or not, clearly, something like this could happen to any cat or dog in the local area.

“We have a five-week old baby at home. My partner and I are both so, so saddened by what has happened to the cats; an absolutely terrible experience.”