IMG_20180315_141024262The dangers external wire and netting pose to wildlife has been highlighted, after a pigeon and gull died in the centre of Cardiff.

RSPCA Cymru was alerted after the birds were found hanging from wire on a building on Queen Street in the heart of Wales’ capital city, on Thursday (15 March).

The charity attended along with South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, and officers reached the trapped birds via cherry picker to set them free.

Sadly, the pigeon was found dead and the gull – who had a badly damaged wing – had to be put to sleep on welfare grounds to prevent further suffering.

RSPCA say the incident is a timely reminder as to the importance of maintaining and monitoring external wire and netting, to protect birds – and other animals – from getting caught or entangled.


Stephanie Davidson, RSPCA animal collection officer, said: “Sadly, two birds have died after getting badly caught up in external wire on a Queen Street building in the heart of Cardiff.

“This incident is a reminder as to the potentially fatal consequences such structures can pose to the nation’s wildlife.


“We continue to highlight the importance of the monitoring of external wire and netting, which often pose a deadly obstacle to wild birds – like this poor pigeon and gull.


“If you know of a building where birds are getting caught in netting or wiring, report it to us as part of our ‘Wild Birds and Netting’ project, with more information available on the RSPCA website.

“RSPCA Cymru is very grateful to South Wales Fire and Rescue Service for their support in trying to save the birds – and thanks to the

ir support, we were at least able to spare the poor trapped gull further suffering.”

Should you wish to help the RSPCA investigate incidents such as these, you can donate online.