RSPCA Cymru is issuing a warning of the dangers of litter after a duck was found with a plastic ring stuck around his head and beak.
Tragically the hybrid duck, who was spotted at a lake by Cwmcelyn Road, Blaina, Abertillery, was so severely injured he was put to sleep at the scene to prevent further suffering.
RSPCA Cymru received a call on 6 February by a concerned member of the public who had seen the duck with a plastic ring trapped in his bill and around the back of his head.
RSPCA inspector Simon Evans said: “This poor duck would have sadly starved to death and would have experienced painful suffering for a long period of time if we hadn’t intervened.
“The plastic ring looked like it could have been the safety ring from the top of an oil can, it was completely around the duck’s head and stuck in his beak. It must have been extremely painful.
“It’s really shocking and sad to see wildlife suffer in this way, when it could have been easily preventable. This is why we always ask people to please dispose of their waste responsibly.”
Sadly the RSPCA receives thousands of calls each year due to litter. Unfortunately, wildlife is the main victim when it comes to these situations – wild birds in particular. Everyday objects can become hazards, but protecting animals from harmful rubbish is easy – dispose of your rubbish responsibly.
Fishing litter, such as hooks, weights and lines, can cause injury and death to wildlife, by embedding or piercing skin, being swallowed, becoming wrapped around an animal, or entangling wildlife which can lead to starvation.
For more information please visit: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/litter
If you wish to help RSPCA Cymru, you can donate online. The RSPCA is a charity and rely on public donations.