RoloRSPCA Cymru is appealing for information amid fears that a dog was poisoned in the Pontypool area.

The animal welfare charity has been alerted after the male beagle dog, named Rolo, was found to be seriously unwell on 8 November, and was taken to a local veterinary practice by the owner.

Sadly, the extent of the dog’s condition meant the vets advised the dog be put to sleep to prevent further suffering. Vets believed that Rolo was exhibiting signs consistent with being poisoned.

The dog was from Station Road in the Griffithstown area of the town, and the dog was seen consuming an unknown substance on a cycle path adjacent to that street.

RSPCA officers are now urging anyone with information as to how Rolo may have been poisoned to contact the charity’s inspectorate appeal line.

Dog owners, or those walking dogs, in the local area have also been urged to be vigilant, and understand the signs of a potential poisoning incident.

RSPCA inspector Annie Simmonds said: “This is a deeply sad incident, and our thoughts are with Rolo’s owner at this time.

“Vets suspect that Rolo’s death may have been linked to poisoning – so naturally we’re concerned to hear this could have been the case.

“Poisoning incidents can be deliberate, or a tragic accident – but we’d urge anyone with information about how this dog fell unwell like this on 8 November to contact our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018. Calls are treated in confidence.

“We’d remind local pet owners, or anyone walking a dog in the area, to be vigilant. If a poisoning is suspected, people should remain calm, remove their pet from any suspected source of poison, and contact a vet immediately.”

Mary Davies, the dog’s owner, said: “Rolo was such a lovely, sweet and stoic dog. I just feel robbed of such a lovely companion. Since the 1950s, I’ve always had beagles – and just feel so sad to have lost him in this way.

“Everybody in the community loved him – he was such a little gentleman. We’re all devastated at what has happened.

“Rolo consumed a substance while walking on a footpath adjacent to Station Road in Griffithstown. Later, he was shivering, wanted to go into the coldest part of the garden, was falling over and couldn’t walk. It was tragic to watch.

“The vet was very much of the opinion that our poor dog was likely to have been poisoned. It’s awful, and we’re just hoping someone comes forward with some information to this RSPCA Cymru appeal.”

If you wish to help the RSPCA complete rescues such as this, you can donate online. The RSPCA are a charity and rely on public donations.