The RSPCA has urged the public not to discard litter after an inspector was called to rescue a victim of rubbish – a cat with a tin of dog food stuck on her head.

Inspector Heather Morris was contacted on Sunday last week (18 June) after a member of the public spotted the puss in a spot of bother in Queensway, Winsford.

TinCatCollage.jpg

The black and white cat had got her head wedged inside the dog food can and couldn’t get it off herself.

Inspector Morris said: “The poor cat was struggling to free herself, but with a little bit of gentle persuasion I was able to remove the tin from her head.

“She was a bit dazed at first, but was unharmed. She sadly wasn’t microchipped so I wasn’t able to return her to her owners to let them know what has happened to her, so she was released back into the neighbourhood to find her way home.”

The rescue has prompted the RSPCA to remind the public about the danger litter and rubbish can pose for wildlife and pets, such as cats.

Every year, the animal welfare charity’s emergency line receives more than 7,000 calls about litter-related incidents and officers often have to rescue animals trapped or hurt by litter.

Inspector Morris added: “This is something my colleagues and I see all too often. Put simply, litter can be lethal to wildlife and pets.”

The charity has rescued animals from all sorts of situations including a fox cub with his head stuck in a wheel hub, a dog with her tongue caught in a discarded can, a hedgehog with his head wedged in a tin, and a seal with a fishing net around her neck.

These incidents are all very preventable if rubbish is disposed of properly and responsibly.

Animals looking for food can get trapped in tin cans and the sharp edges can cause injury. The charity would ask people to clean and empty food containers before pinching them shut or cutting them in half when disposing.

Elastic bands also pose a big risk to small animals and birds as they can wrap around their bodies or beaks and cause choking. The RSPCA asks that they are reused, where possible, or cut open before being thrown away.

Broken glass can cause serious injury and small animals can get trapped in jars so experts advise to clean and recycle glass as much as possible.

Plastic bags can suffocate animals or, if they eat them, can cause them to choke. Please tie bags in knots before recycling. And plastic can holders can cause deep wounds to animals that get tangled in them or can even choke them so it’s best to cut the loops before discarding.

To help the RSPCA rescue animals, text LOVE to 87023 to give £3 (text costs £3 + one standard network rate message) or visit www.rspca.org.uk/give.