The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat with severe burns on her back was abandoned outside a vets.


The female tabby cat was left at the front door of a vet practice in Wellington Road North, Stockport, on Friday 19 May. She was taken to the RSPCA’s Manchester Animal Hospital, however she was sadly put to sleep after her health deteriorated.

It is thought that the burns were caused by a toxic substance – potentially acid or strong bleach – or boiling water, which has left the cat’s skin red raw.

Rachel Butler, spokeswoman for the RSPCA, said: “The poor cat was found abandoned in a cardboard box outside the vets, and she was clearly in a lot of pain. The horrific burns cover approximately one-third of her back – it was awful. Very sadly, despite the best efforts of the staff who cared for her, she deteriorated and was put to sleep to prevent further suffering.

“She wasn’t microchipped and she wasn’t wearing a collar so we have no idea where she came from. CCTV in the area has been checked, but sadly it does not show anything which would help in our investigation, so we are keen for people to come forward and help us find out how this poor cat came to be in this way.”

Anyone with information should contact the RSPCA’s appeals line on 0300 123 8018, and leave a message for Inspector Heather Morris.

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)