Gull, NewportThe dangers razor wire poses to birds has been highlighted, after a gull had to be put to sleep in Newport.

RSPCA Cymru was alerted after a member of the public spotted the bird tangled in the wire on a lane near Phillip Court in the city. The incident took place on Saturday (20 May).

Sadly, the gull was found to have broken both wings, and had to be put to sleep on welfare grounds to prevent further suffering.

The charity says the incident is a reminder of the dangers razor wire, barbed wire and other such fencing can pose to wildlife.

Julie Fadden, RSPCA inspector, said: “This was a really distressing incident to be involved with, as the poor gull was so horrifically injured that he had to be put to sleep.

“We are grateful to the member of the public for alerting us to this, so at least the gull’s suffering was not prolonged.

“Importantly, this incident acts as a reminder of the dangers of razor wire and barbed wire to wildlife; and we continue to urge caution in the use of such material.”

Should you wish to help the RSPCA complete rescues like this, you can give £3 now by texting LOVE to 87023 (text costs £3 + one standard network rate message). We are a charity and rely on public donations to exist.