A hedgehog was rescued by the RSPCA after he had got himself tangled in netting used to cover a household recycling box.

Now the animal welfare charity is urging people to avoid using the netting if possible as it can be harmful to wildlife.
RSPCA inspector Helen Mead was called to rescue the hog from the box outside a house in Pelican Place, in Witney, Oxfordshire, on Saturday (26 November).
“The hedgehog had managed to get himself completely tangled around … Continue reading…

The dangers fishing litter pose to wildlife has been highlighted in Conwy, after RSPCA Cymru rescued an exhausted gull who had a hook through its beak.

Found on the shore of Conwy town on Sunday 20 November, the young black backed gull was also struggling with fishing line wrapped around its body, preventing the bird from flying.

Rescued in an exhausted state, the line and hook were removed from the gull with the recovery process now continuing in RSPCA care…. Continue reading…

An unusual resident has been found at Swansea University – a European yellow-tailed scorpion; rescued by RSPCA Cymru after being spotted by a passer-by.

Found on a wall at the University’s Singleton Campus on 16 November, the non-native species is not routinely found in Swansea – though settled populations do exist in Sheerness in Kent, and elsewhere on the Isle of Sheppey, with the scorpions believed to have been accidentally brought to the UK in the 1860s.

RSPCA Cymru is … Continue reading…

A North Wales local authority has been urged not to restrict, or prohibit, dogs from accessing marked sports playing fields, for fear of compromising their welfare.

RSPCA Cymru fears measures by Wrexham Council may inadvertently demonise responsible dog owners, as a consultation concerning the implementation of Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) for parks in the council area concludes.

The charity has responded to new plans from Wrexham Council concerning dogs in public spaces. These include banning dogs from marked sports … Continue reading…

One cat has died, and another has been battling for his life, after being poisoned with anti-freeze in the Caerphilly area.

RSPCA Cymru is urging members of the public to come forward with any information to ascertain how the two cats, who are brothers, consumed the poison.

The devastated owner of the Corbett Grove, Caerphilly cats has no idea where the poisonous substance came from.  The first – named Oliver had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice, whilst … Continue reading…