A pigeon had to be rescued after landing in a vat of oil in Merthyr Tydfil.
The used cold cooking oil was in an outside bin at a restaurant at Rhydycar and when the lid was taken off momentarily, the pigeon flew in and got himself into trouble on Friday (23 September).
RSPCA inspector Gemma Cooper said: “This poor pigeon got himself into a bit of mischief, but thankfully staff at the restaurant were quick to react and managed to get the pigeon safely out otherwise he would have certainly drowned.
“He was confined safely outside while I made my way over to collect him. He was completely covered in oil. He looked like one slick pigeon!”
The pigeon was first taken to Merthyr Tydfil Veterinary Clinic for a vet check up, and then was taken to Gower Bird Hospital to be cleaned up and rehabilitated.
Inspector Cooper said: “He needed a couple of specialised baths and is recovering well after his ordeal.
“Oil can be quite damaging to birds – it damages their plumage so affecting their ability to stay warm and dry, but it is expected he will make a full recovery and when ready he will be released back into the wild.”
If you spot an animal in distress, please call the RSPCA’s 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999.
As a charity we rely on public donations to exist. To assist us in carrying out our vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3 (texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message).