A gull had to be rescued after falling into vat of cold Tandoori curry and being turned bright orange.
The gull was partially coated ‘half-and-half’ in sauce after falling into the vat in the Newport area on Tuesday, 2 August. The liquid was cold waste.
RSPCA animal welfare officer (AWO) Sian Burton said: “We get many calls about injured gulls – especially at this time of year – but this one that was a bit more unusual than the norm!
“He must have had a shock when he fell in the curry. We have no idea if it flew in because it was hungry or if he fell in by accident!
“He was removed safely and kept in a box until RSPCA animal collection officer Stephanie Davidson arrived.
“I then transferred the gull to a veterinary surgery for a check-up and then I took him to Vale Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre near Tewkesbury.
“He’s uninjured and just needed a good clean, I expect he will be put off from curry after this!”
Following a good wash he has gone back to his usual colour. He is doing well and is now in an outside enclosure with other gulls. The gull will be released back into the wild in the near future.
For more information on gulls, visit our “Living with wildlife” webpage at http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/livingwith
If you spot an animal in distress, please call the RSPCA’s 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999.
If you would like to help the RSPCA, you can give £3 now by texting HELP to 78866 (text costs £3 + one standard network rate message).