The RSPCA is appealing for information after three cats died from antifreeze poisoning in the same area of Burntwood since the start of the year.
The cats – who all lived around Oak Lane in the Chase Terrace area – all died from kidney failure, with tests confirming that they ingested antifreeze. The third cat died earlier this month.
RSPCA inspector Kate Levesley said: “This is a very upsetting incident which has resulted in the deaths of three much-loved family pets.
“It is very important that we ask pet owners in the area to be vigilant. We ask everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately.
“At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats. People should check their car radiators for leaks too.”
Anyone who has information should contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018 or Staffordshire police on 101.
Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following:
Seeming depressed or sleepy
Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.
Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.
The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)