The RSPCA is appealing for information after three cats died from suspected poisoning in Wilmslow.

Mickey, Olli and Yoda all died between 23 June and 27 June after ingesting a toxic substance near to their neighbouring homes in Dairybrook Grove.

Yoda.jpg
Yoda
Mickey.jpg
Mickey

Tests at the vets showed that they had all ingested a toxic substance, although it is not known what the substance was.

RSPCA inspector Leanne Cragg, who is investigating, said: “At this stage we do not know if this is deliberate or accidental, however it is important that we find out what happened as this has left two owners devastated.”

Rachael Simson, owner of Mickey – a seven-year-old black shorthair – and Olli – a black and white cat also aged seven, said that her young son had been left heartbroken by their deaths.

She said: “My son Riley is only four and he misses them so much. He keeps asking if we can get them back.

“I haven’t let my other two cats out of my sight since it happened because I can’t put myself through this again. It has been absolutely awful.”

Rachael’s neighbour, Oliver Wolstenholme, lost his cat Yoda – a two-year-old ginger and white cat – to suspected poisoning on 23 June. As soon as he found out that Yoda had ingested a toxic substance, he let Rachael know so she could keep an eye on her four cats.

Oliver said: “Yoda was always a playful cat who was happy to go up to people. The day that it happened, he went outside and was perfectly happy – but when he came back an hour later he was walking as though he was drunk. He was very wobbly on his legs, then he just collapsed on the floor. I was really worried and got him straight to a vet.

“Sadly, that’s when we found out that he had been poisoned, although we don’t know what it was. When I got home, my first thought was that I had to let Rachael know because of her four cats.

“It has been completely heartbreaking.”

Inspector Cragg said: “This was a highly distressing incident and we urge anyone with any information to call us. It is difficult to know for sure what happened and how these poor cats were poisoned, but it is extremely concerning that three cats died in this horrible way in such a short space of time.

“Poisoning causes a lot of pain and distress and is often fatal. Sadly, it is likely the cats suffered a lot before they died.

“We would urge people to be careful when using poisonous substances – to clear up any spills and to store and discard them safely. There is also the worrying possibility that someone did this deliberately so if anyone has seen anything suspicious please contact us on 0300 123 8018.”

Symptoms of poisonings include vomiting, seeming depressed/sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

For more information log onto www.rspca.org.uk/poisoning.

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)