The RSPCA is appealing for information after a dog died from suspected poisoning in Walsall.

The three-year-old male shih-tzu died on Tuesday, 14 June after his owner saw him having a fit at their home in Tamar Close after going out for a walk near to his home.

He was taken to the vets, where it was confirmed that he had ingested poison. Sadly, he died later that day. It has not been confirmed what sort of substance it was.

RSPCA inspector Laura Bryant said: “This is a very distressing incident, particularly for the dog’s owner who had to witness her dog suffer in this way.

“We are always very concerned to hear about suspected poisonings and it is difficult to know whether the poisonings are deliberate or accidental.

“Animals, and especially dogs, are often extremely curious and will be drawn to food. Ingesting just the smallest amounts of some substances can lead to kidney failure and death.

“If anyone suspects that their dog has been poisoned they must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, they should take a sample of what the dog has eaten.

“If anyone has any information on what happened to the dog, then I would urge them to contact the RSPCA’s appeals line in complete confidence on on 0300 123 8018.”

Poisoning is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)