The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat died from poisoning in Corby.

image1 (2).JPG

Mellow, a nine-year-old male tabby, died on Tuesday, 26 April after it was confirmed by a vet that he ingested antifreeze near his home in Sturminster Way.

His owner, Victoria Slater, took Mellow to the vets after he vomited and started stumbling around. Tests at the vets later confirmed that he had ingested antifreeze.

RSPCA inspector Clint Davies, who is investigating, said: “We would like to ask everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately.

“At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats. People should check their car radiators for leaks too.”

Victoria said: “Mellow looked as though he was acting drunk, he kept stumbling and he fell over twice, which I thought was not normal so I took him straight to the vets. The vet said that, given his symptoms, it was likely he had been poisoned and that his kidneys would soon start to fail.

“The vet tested samples of his urine and found antifreeze crystals. They also shone a black light on him which showed he had antifreeze crystals around his paws and his mouth.”

Victoria said she has been left distraught by his death, adding: “Mellow has been my comfort for the last nine years, he has always been there with me. We have lost a member of our family. I miss him so much – he was the best cat ever, he had a unique purr and always came when I called him.”

image2 (1).JPG

Anyone who has information on the incident should contact the RSPCA’s appeal line on 0300 123 8018.

Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following: Vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)