A plucky tawny owl had to be rescued by the RSPCA after he fell down a chimney and got stuck.


In a scene worthy of Harry Potter, the owl had got himself trapped in a log burner of a house in Vicarage Lane, in Neston, Cheshire, on Tuesday evening (26 January).

RSPCA inspector Anthony Joynes, who helped to free the owl, said: “He was properly jammed in there and the only way I could get him out was to remove him very delicately.


“I took him straight to a vet, where it was found that he had got soot in his eyes.

“The vet found that he had ulcers in both eyes caused by soot rubbing under his eyelids. This meant that I could not immediately release him back to the wild, as owls rely on their eyesight for hunting.

“He is now being treated at the RSPCA’s Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre. I am hoping that I personally will get to release him in the near future when his eyes have healed.

“I have rescued many birds from chimneys, but never an owl. To think that the owl fell all the way from the roof and down the chimney and to not get any serious injuries is remarkable.”

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3 (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message).