A dog has been rescued after getting stuck in an electric reclining chair at a house in Swinton, Salford.

 

The RSPCA was called about the stricken pet Lhasa Apso, called ‘Cagney’, just before 10pm last night (Thursday 29 October), and animal welfare officer (AWO) David Hatton attended.

 

He said: “The dog had managed to get herself well and truly wedged in the chair.Cagney stuck in chair © RSPCA

 

“She was stuck head first in the mechanism, with just her back legs sticking out.

 

“I’ve never seen anything like it.”

 

Firefighters from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were also called and a crew from Eccles came out and used their specialist equipment to cut Cagney free.

 

AWO Hatton said:“The fire service were absolutely brilliant. They were able to dismantle the metal frame until she could free herself.

 

“It was a careful process, but luckily they were able to get her out uninjured.

 

Cagney © RSPCA“Afterwards she seemed pretty unfazed by the whole thing, she just wandered off for a drink and came and sat by her owner.”

 

Cagney’s owner, Lyn Kirkwood, said: “My husband’s carer came round and Cagney usually barks, but she was quiet.

 

“I looked in all the rooms and couldn’t find her anywhere, then all of a sudden I heard a whimper and we found her stuck in the chair.

 

“We called the fire service and the RSPCA and we had three firefighters with tools trying to get her out. When they freed her she just walked off as if nothing had happened.”

 

Watch Manager Dave Minto led the effort to rescue Cagney. He said: “Cagney had been stuck in that position for an hour.

 

“The dog was quite distressed when we arrived, but when she saw the crew Cagney quietened down and just sat there in total silence.

 

“We isolated the electric supply to the chair and took the mechanism apart – freeing Cagney after about half an hour.”