The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat recently died of suspected poisoning in Pontypool.
The owner of the tabby cat reported to the RSPCA that her pet became very unsteady and appeared to be having a fit. She took her cat to the vet who diagnosed it as antifreeze poisoning. Sadly she was put to sleep.
The caller from Davis Close also fears that her other cat was also poisoned as her black and white moggie died of similar symptoms. There are also additional suspected cases in the area.
Animal welfare officer Sian Burton said: “This is a tragic incident and our condolences are with the owner.
“Owners should be vigilant and contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been poisoned. The sooner the cat is treated, the better their chances of surviving.”
If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.
Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.
If anyone has any information about suspected poisonings they can contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999.
To help the RSPCA investigate cases like this, you can give £3 now by texting HELP to 78866 (Text costs £3 + one standard network rate message).