Pet owners urged to take care after dog dies chewing e-cigarette

20.02.14

warning triangle © Fotolia 260195We’re advising pet owners to keep e-cigarettes and their refills out of harm’s way after a dog died from chewing the nicotine capsule.

The e-liquid within the vaporisers contain nicotine and can include chemicals such as propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol 400 which are mixed with vegetable glycerin and flavourings.

Nicotine is toxic to animals with poisoning occurring very rapidly and can be fatal.

Keep e-cigarettes out of reach

Lisa Richards, RSPCA companion animals scientist said:

“We would advise all pet owners to keep their e-cigarettes and equipment safely out of reach of their pets.

“E-cigarettes and refills can easily contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

“Just as we would advise pet owners to keep drugs and other toxins safely shut away and out of reach of their pets we would advise them to take care with e-cigarettes too.

“It is vital that owners are aware of the risks and take steps to reduce the chances of their pet coming into contact with these items and substances in the first place.”

Concerned about poisoning?

If you are concerned about poisoning or suspect your pet may have been poisoned, never watch and wait,  speak to a vet immediately.