A cat stuck on a small ledge on a viaduct in Stockport, 90ft from the ground, has been reunited with his owner.

The cat was rescued by officers from the RSPCA and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service on Friday, 22 November. He was reported to us late on Wednesday afternoon (20 November) after being spotted by a member of the public.

© Manchester Evening News Syndication. To purchase call 0161 2112424 or email syndication@men-news.co.uk

A very tricky situation

RSPCA Inspector Heather Morris said:

“It was a very tricky situation as he was 90ft off the ground and 5ft down from the top of the viaduct.

“One of my colleagues went up on a hydraulic platform provided by the fire service but he wouldn’t come to him so in the end we had to set a cat trap up there and wait for him to get in.

“It took two days. Everyone was extremely pleased to get him down safely, that is for sure.”

The cat was brought down by Inspector Morris, aided by officers from Stockport Fire Station, at about 12.30pm on Friday.

Owner delighted to have Miku back safely

After being fed and watered he was taken to RSPCA Greater Manchester Animal Hospital in Salford to be checked over, where he was reunited with owner Steven Jackson on Friday night.

Mr Jackson said:

“One of my friends posted the article from Manchester Evening News on Facebook and I recognised Miku immediately.

“He’d not been home for four days and of course I was very worried. I can see the viaduct from my house but had no idea the trouble he was causing up there!

“I’m very relieved he’s home and want to say thank you to the RSPCA and the fire service for all they did to rescue him safely. It was amazing the lengths they went to to help him, it’s really heartwarming.”

With thanks to the fire and rescue service

© Manchester Evening News Syndication. To purchase call 0161 2112424 or email syndication@men-news.co.uk

Station manager Chris Mycock from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said:

“We worked with the RSPCA and used our hydraulic platform to bring the cat down to safety.

“We generally don’t attend cat rescues unless there could be potential risk to life, whether that be a member of the public or someone from the RSPCA or another partner agency.

“Although the RSPCA is more than capable of rescuing animals sometimes, like in this case, they didn’t have the right equipment to be able to reach them.”

Help us continue our vital work

The RSPCA relies on generous donations from the public to be able to do rescues such as this.

To help the RSPCA carry out this vital work please donate online or text HERO to 60155 to give £3 (texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message).