RSPCA Cymru is appealing for information after a Caerphilly cat owner has seen three of his animals die of poisoning in the last two months.

The owner lives in Mill Close and two of his cats died within a day of each other on 8 and 9 October. Veterinary examinations conducted on both animals suggest that they had ingested antifreeze.

The chemical ethylene glycol, found in some household brands of antifreeze, has potentially lethal consequences when ingested by cats.

Cats seem to enjoy the taste of this ingredient but they can soon suffer agonising deaths if they eat or drink it.

RSPCA inspector Sophie Daniels said:  “We urgently need more information about these poisonings. There may be an innocent explanation but we are concerned that someone is deliberately causing suffering to cats and other animals in the locality.

 “We would also ask perpetrators to be aware that deliberate poisoning using antifreeze could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.

 ”Owners should be vigilant and contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. The sooner the animal is treated, the better their chances of surviving.”

 If anyone has any information about this incident or any related incidents in the area, they are urged to contact the RSPCA cruelty and information line on 0300 1234 999. Calls will be treated in confidence.

 To help the RSPCA investigate cases like this, you can give £3 now by texting HELP to 78866 (Text costs £3 + one standard network rate message)