RSPCA Cymru warn about the dangers of discarded fishing tackle

Monday 8 July 2013

A Jackdaw had a lucky escape after finding itself hanging upside down from a telephone cable in Aberfan near Merthyr Tydfil on Saturday (06/07/13).

When Inspector Rohan Barker arrived at the scene he found the bird dangling by its leg 30 feet in the air from a fishing hook and line.

Inspector Barker immediately requested the assistance of South Wales fire and rescue and firefighter Adam Morton from Merthyr fire station rescued the bird. Inspector Barker then removed the fishing tackle and took the bird to Gower Bird Hospital.

Inspector Barker said: “This bird was lucky, but discarded fishing tackle can cause all sorts of problems for birds and other animals. Line can get caught around legs, wings, necks and beaks and hooks can pierce skin and muscle or be swallowed causing internal injuries. All fishing tackle should disposed of responsibly if incidents like this are to be prevented.”

To help the RSPCA with rescues like this, you can give £3 now by texting HELP to 78866 (Text costs £3 + one standard network rate message)