The RSPCA is appealing for information on who might be leaving antifreeze out in insecure containers that cats can access after two cats died within a week in the same road in Harlow in Essex.

 

On Friday 15 March, Charlie, a black and white domestic short hair male aged 17 months who lived in Rushes Mead, was put to sleep to end his suffering because he had symptoms of antifreeze poisoning.

 

A week before, Charlie’s brother, who lived in a neighbouring property, was also put to sleep because of suspected antifreeze poisoning.

 

Charlie’s owner Sam Ashford said: “The children are beside themselves with grief. They were so attached to Charlie.”

 

RSPCA animal collection officer, Louise Brown, said: “If anyone knows of any suspicious activity in the area relating to antifreeze can they please contact us.

 

“The key thing for pet owners to do is to try to detect the symptoms early. Look for ulcers on their tongues or excessive drooling. The faster you can get them to a vet, the better.”

 

Many people are unaware of the hidden dangers to pets and wildlife from antifreeze poisoning. Animals find the taste of antifreeze very attractive, but ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death.

 

If you have any information about these poisonings, please call in confidence the RSPCA’s inspector information line and leave a message for animal collection officer Louise Brown 0300 123 8018.

 

To help the RSPCA investigate cases like this text HELP to 78866 to give £3 (Text costs £3 + one standard network rate message).

 

-ends-