Wednesday 27 February 2013

 

The RSPCA are outraged that the Government have ignored public, parliamentary, EU Commission and scientific opinion and announced that it will be going ahead with plans for badger cull this summer.

 

Plans for these pilot culls had been due to go ahead last autumn but were postponed but today (Wednesday 27 February) Defra issued a statement saying that the final licences had been granted and that the culls would go ahead from June. They also said they were ‘preparing’ a third pilot cull area in Dorset.

 

RSPCA Chief Executive Gavin Grant said: “Despite overwhelming scientific, public and parliamentary opposition the Government seems hell bent on pressing forward with their senseless plans to kill badgers.

 

“All the evidence shows that the answer to the problems of bovine TB in cattle does not lie in a cull that will be an ineffective, wasteful and potentially damaging to the welfare of both farm and wild animals.

 

“We care about cattle and badgers alike and have great sympathy for the farmers dealing with the effects of this disease – but killing badgers is not the answer.”

 

Just yesterday, the EU commission gave evidence to the government and said that the only way to get rid of the disease in cattle was to improve cattle movement restrictions, and that the UK was the one of the few countries in the EU that allowed so much cattle movement.

 

Vaccinations of both badgers and cattle along with more effective biosecurity is the way forward to secure the welfare of both cattle and badgers and the long term livelihood of farmers.

 

The RSPCA stands ready to work alongside all those seeking to develop and implement a badger vaccination and biosecurity campaign as the alternative to this barbaric cull.