The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat was fatally poisoned in Bargoed.
The animal was found crying loudly and staggering at an address in Lewis Crescent, Bargoed on Sunday 24 February. The owners took the grey female cat to a veterinary surgery in Newport and they confirmed that she was suffering from antifreeze poisoning. The animal was put to sleep by a vet.
RSPCA inspector Emma Smith said: “We urgently need more information about this poisoning. There may be an innocent explanation but we are concerned that someone is deliberately causing suffering to cats and other animals in the locality.
“We would also ask perpetrators to be aware that deliberate poisoning using antifreeze could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.
“Owners should be vigilant and contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. The sooner the animal is treated, the better their chances of surviving.”
If anyone has any information about this incident or any related incidents in the area, they are urged to contact the RSPCA appeal line on 0300 123 8018. Calls will be treated in confidence.
If you would like to help the RSPCA, you can give £3 now by texting HELP to 78866 (Text costs £3 + one standard network rate message).
A chemical found in some household brands of antifreeze, has potentially lethal consequences when ingested by cats.
The results can cause agonising deaths – cats can suffer symptoms including appearing drunk and sleepy, an increased breathing rate, vomiting, and seizures. They will also often try to drink more fluids.
The public should take extra care when using, storing and disposing of antifreeze, and to avoid spillages or leaks as cats could be lapping it up, either neat or when water coolant leaks from car radiators.
Left over antifreeze and water coolant should also be disposed of responsibly. The safest way is to take it in a suitable container to a council refuse site which should have facilities for disposing of hazardous fluids.
One of the main manufacturers of antifreeze has taken steps to try to prevent poisonings occurring.
Comma Oil, which supplies antifreeze to companies including Halfords, has added an ingredient to make it unpleasant to animals to swallow the product. However, there is currently no legislation to make such additives a requirement.