A man who dumped an elderly and poorly dog in a cemetery has been banned from keeping animals for five years.

Gordon Roach (DOB 17/04/1975), of Dundonald Street, Birkenhead, was sentenced at Wirral Magistrates’ Court today (Friday 20 May) after he pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the dog, named Elmo by veterinary staff.

As well as the disqualification order, Roach was given a four-week prison sentence, suspended for two years.

The court heard that ten-year-old crossbreed Elmo was … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is investigating after the body of a dog with a weight around his neck and the body of a cat were pulled out of a canal in Liverpool.

The bodies were discovered yesterday (Thursday 19 May) in the canal at Marsh Lane, in Bootle, by a member of the public.

The male black dog – thought to be a lhasa apso or a terrier-type breed – was wearing a black collar which had a 1.25kg black exercise weight … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after the body of a second headless and tailless cat was found in a Cannock garden.

The black and white female cat was found by a member of the public on Saturday, 7 May in Lincoln Drive, near to the place where a cat with similar injuries was found at the beginning of April.

A microchip has not been located and therefore the owner of the cat has not been traced.

RSPCA inspector Rob … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat suffered a broken leg when he was shot with an air rifle in Hinckley.

The male cat was found by his owner with the injuries in Strathmore Road, on the afternoon of Tuesday 26 April.

An X-ray showed that a pellet from an air rifle had fractured his leg.

RSPCA inspector Alison North, who is investigating, said: “This is a very concerning incident and is extremely traumatic for both the cat … Continue reading…

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat died from poisoning in Corby.

Mellow, a nine-year-old male tabby, died on Tuesday, 26 April after it was confirmed by a vet that he ingested antifreeze near his home in Sturminster Way.

His owner, Victoria Slater, took Mellow to the vets after he vomited and started stumbling around. Tests at the vets later confirmed that he had ingested antifreeze.

RSPCA inspector Clint Davies, who is investigating, said: “We would like to … Continue reading…